International volunteers are advised to obtain a Working With Children Check or Police Check from their country of origin prior to arriving in Australia or New Zealand, as this may expedite mandatory requirements for working with minors (trainees <18 years old). Please note requirements differ from state to state in Australia and New Zealand. Advice should be sought from the relevant Operator/s.
Australian National Maritime Museum
The Australian National Maritime Museum is pleased to announce an opportunity to sail aboard HMB Endeavour as Trainee Crew during the month of June 2023 for a short series of day sails.
The Ship is looking for individuals who would be interested in joining as Volunteer Trainee Crew with the potential to join the ranks of the professional crew during future voyaging.
Criteria for the role:
- Live in the vicinity of Sydney (or be willing to travel at own expense).
- Be at least 18 years of age when stepping aboard.
- Have the ability to follow instructions and drive to learn how to sail an 18th Century Ship.
- Be fit and able to meet all the challenges that sailing a Square Rig Ship entails. Including working physically on deck and climbing the masts while the ship is underway.
There are two sailing periods planned with deadlines for applications. Sailing dates will be decided based on crew availability and chosen after the close of applications. Alongside activities will also be underway for the entire month of June.
First Sailing Period: 10-13 and 17-18 June 2023
Deadline for Applications: 23 of May 2023
Second Sailing Period: 27 June – 2 of July 2023
Deadline for Applications: 19 of June 2023
Please submit your applications to “ firstname.lastname@example.org “and answer the following questions:
- What is your availability for the Month of June 2023?
- Where will you be traveling from?
- In two sentences, how would you describe your level of fitness?
- Why would you like to sail on the HMB Endeavour as trainee crew?
- Is there anything else you would like to add to your application? (Experience, future career goals or questions)
More information about the HMB Endeavour can be found at:
The Windeward Bound Trust – Windeward Bound
Voluntary Crew – General Purpose Hand
Voluntary crew live aboard the ship full-time, commit to a minimum of six months (longer if on a scholarship), participate in the rostered duty watch schedule, and positively represent Windeward Bound at all times. Additionally, voluntary crew must be average weight for height, reasonably fit, able to work at heights and lift own weight, and be a non-smoker and drug-free*.
Windeward Bound voluntary crew receive free room and board and get an average of two days off per week. Australian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for scholarships from the Windeward Bound Scholarship Fund for professional maritime qualifications, including Master <24m and MED 3 Certificates. Eligibility for scholarships depends upon performance and length of commitment.