Each year Sail Training International and Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand offer individual bursaries to support the sail training industry in Australia and New Zealand, and to provide opportunities for a diverse range of youth to benefit from sail training voyages.
This page includes information on bursaries to assist with professional development for Tall Ship operators and crew. For information on individual Voyage Bursaries available to the public please click here.
Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand Training Bursary
In 2017 Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand established a bursary to support the tall ship and sail training industry in Australia and New Zealand, and to provide opportunities for a diverse range of youth to benefit from the life-changing experience that is sail training voyages. Bursaries are available to:
- young people aged between 15 and 25 years, for the purpose of joining a development voyage aboard a member Tall Ship, and
- Tall Ship crew seeking to undertake professional development via a recognised course or cross decking opportunity.
Applications are open to Australian and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents and are considered on merit. The A maximum of AUD $500 is awarded to each recipient.
Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand gratefully accepts funds for the purpose of offering bursaries each year. Please contact the Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Applications for bursaries in the 2017-18 financial year will be open from September 2017.
Each year Sail Training International and Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand offers individual bursaries to offset the cost of travel from Australia and New Zealand to the International Sail Training and Tall Ships Conference, usually held in Europe in November.
To be eligible for nominations you must be:
- a member of Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand who has made a significant contribution to sail training, or
- a representative of a Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand organisational member, or
- a young person within the Sail Training Community with the potential and prospect of making a significant contribution to Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand, who is a member of Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand (as appropriate) prior to commencement of the conference.
The bursaries are awarded on the following terms and conditions:
- evidence of receipts for the purchase of return airfares are to be provided to the Treasurer
- bursaries are not transferable
- should travel to the Sail Training International Conference not be undertaken, the bursary is to be repaid in full
- a written report (no less than 500 words) is to be forwarded to the Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand International Representative within 30 days of the attendee’s return to Australia outlining the benefits and lessons learned/gained. This will be posted on this website.
- the Bursary is to the value of £800 (paid to recipients by Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand in AUS/NZ dollars).
Applications should be in the form of a letter, supported by a financial Tall Ships Australia and New Zealand Operator Member or Committee Member outlining eligibility and reasons for attending the conference. Applications are due by the nominated date.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY